Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Countdown

Yesterday was a day to be thankful for. 2010 has been a YEAR to be thankful for. A healthy baby boy. An awesome husband. A great life.

It is now officially Christmas in the Carbonatto household. I was so excited (despite what this stupid cold was telling me) to wake up this morning and get started on decorating the house.

This was also the first opportunity to put on display some fun new crafts that I've been working on, including my Christmas Countdown Blocks.

Here's how you to duplicate them for your home:

{Materials You Will Need}:
  • Pair of wooden blocks. I picked mine up at Ben Franklin - they are 4x4
  • 8x2 wooden slab - also picked up at Ben Franklin as a package w/ the blocks. Only cost $5.99 on sale (together)
  • Acryllic paint of your choice (originally started with "Snow White" & "Red Brick"...but quickly changed my mind to Metallic Silver as you will see)
  • Red Vinyl - numbers (1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 0, 0) & "Days 'til Christmas"
  • Even though Mod Podge (lustre) & scrapbook paper are shown, I actually scrapped this idea once I began...pun intended

{Step 1}:

Paint wooden blocks color of choice. Here you can see I opted out of white and red, and went with some metallic silver that I had on hand.

{Step 2}:

Cut out desired stencil shape. I simply Googled a clip-art image of a snowflake. Printed it, cut out and began the stencil process. Any stencil cut to less than a 4x4 image though will work.

I chose a soft Christmas Green color for the snowflake.

{Step 3}:

While the paint is drying (you are only able to do 3 sides at a time), I applied the vinyl onto the base wooden block according to the vinyl directions.

{Step 4}:
Almost done - this is what your blocks should look like. Ready to apply the vinyl numbers once your painted snowflakes are good and dry.

It looks like this:

{Step 5}:

Apply vinyl numbers. On one block, put numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on the second block put numbers 6, 7, 8, 0, 1, 2. If the numbers aren't placed correctly - you're going to be counting down some crazy numbers. :)


{Now we are ready to count it down everyday}:


Don't worry, despite what my blocks say, there are NOT 8 days left until Christmas. I just maybe have not finished all of the snowflakes yet but was anxious to get them on display. :)

Officially there are only 29 more days until Christmas - PLENTY of time for you to jump in on the Countdown Block action.

Linking today to
The DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreaming

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to copy this (next year, when I don't have a newborn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Carly - my thought was that it would be a fun way for Brecken to learn counting, visually see how long until Christmas and turn the blocks everyday (obv eventually). Your little ones would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may as well have double doggy dared me. I want to try this!! So adorable and simple!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow by Email

Recent Projects

Xmas Card Display Hutch Revamp Spring Wreath Playroom Pennants Established Plaque
Vintage Valentines
Stenciled Lamp
Homemade Headbands

Items2Love

Women Online

Designed by:

Elements by Amy Teets

Featured On

homemade crafts UndertheTableandDreaming

Modern Wivelyhood

Grab My Button