Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Established Plaque

As I mentioned yesterday, we had a great weekend away celebrating some friends' decision to jump on the marriage bandwagon.

It was a gorgeous wedding, our first "destination" wedding {which I'm totally a fan of}, and they had some amazing personal touches to their weekend.
Leavenworth.  A must-visit destination.
We are at the stage in life where it feels like there is a wedding invitation in our mailbox at least once a week.
The beautiful bride from this weekend.

It's so fun, and we feel so blessed, to celebrate with each of our friends.
Hot groomsman = hot husband

Either way you cut it though, the mass quantity of weddings leads to some serious dollars out the door in order to help each of our friends begin their marriage.
Blake and I were blessed beyond belief with gifts and more gifts as we started our life together.  We were grateful, and excited, to open every present addressed to the new Mr. & Mrs. Carbonatto.
{This was the painter/artist at the wedding this weekend.  He painted 2 canvases on the spot to encompass the essence of the wedding.  Coolest idea ever.}
Some of our most memorable wedding gifts were the ones that were specifically designed for us.

So on a budget, trying to shower our friends with gifts to start their life, but more importantly offer them something to build their marriage, enter my latest go-to:
Let's call it the Established Plaque.
These plain wood guys come in all shapes and sizes.  And can be personalized to commemorate the couple being celebrated with some simple paint.

The process to get your desired product is oh-so simple.
1.  Start with a blank slate.  Any wood plaque will do.  A simple rectangular board, large, small - pick whichever look you are going for.
*I purchased mine from Michaels, and JoAnns - using a 50% off coupon each time.  Some were $1.99, some where $14.99.  DEAL.

2.  Sand these bad boys down slightly so that it takes to the paint well.

3.  Choose paint color.  I used leftover paint colors from rooms we had painted in the house.  I haven't tried acryllic, but I think using a high-quality paint for this is a better way to go.


4.  Use the transfer process (or vinyl) to highlight the monogram of the couple's last name.

5.  Then, using the same transfer process, paint on their "established" date.  The trick is to use paint pens for this.

When all is said and done, I add a homemade card from Paper Therapy, write some thoughtful words, wrap it with twine and wa-la, the perfect personalized {non-budget-breaking} present.
*Note: our go-to is usually throw in a giftcard to a nice local restaurant so that they can keep dating one another, build their marriage, and enjoy a night out on us.  That serves as the "real" gift.
There you go!  I know that people need their dishes, cups and fine china, but in our {short} almost 5 years of marriage, we've learned that {it's the quality time together that is going to help us make the long haul, not our dishes}.  

And people really do love a personalized, thoughtful gift.   

Next time you're headin' to a wedding, throw in an Established Plaque to add that personal touch.



Linking today to:
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. We are going to a wedding in a few weeks and I've been trying to think of something personal and inexpensive to make. This is a great idea! If I end up doing it I will let you know and link back to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash,

    Perfect timing on this post. I would like you to know that you are my official blog on crafting that I am following for my research project. I couldn't handle some of the other crafting focused blogs because they were ALL about crafting ALL the time... too much scrapbooking paper and cheerfulness for me. I need crafts, but I also need a healthy dose of reality...like deciding whether or not to teach your son the word "jackass." So keep crafting please!!! I am watching you. And writing about you. Kinda creepy, but hopefully it will make an awesome paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Micah and Jen
    Wow! I'm excited I made the cut. :) Yes, you know how I roll and the important things in life. You will never find all butterflies and dandelions with me. And my crafts really can't go beyond the extent of a max of 2 naptimes, otherwise I lose serious interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jenn
    Perfect! That would be great! I'd love to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these plaques, Ash!! Super creative and I'm sure truly appreciated by the recipients. Great job, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley. I just love this idea for a wedding gift. I too have been finding wedding invites in my mailbox just about every day....and with most of them being halfway across the country this is such a great gift that can be shipped easily! Love you blog and your adorable little family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift idea, I would have loved to receive one of these for our wedding! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, visiting from I heart Naptime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea. I'm sure they love it!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I bet your newlyweds love these! (And also the very sound advice...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! LOVE IT!

    http://www.craigslistqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely and thoughtful wedding gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute blog! I love this idea and need to try it soon. I would love one for our house! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are beautiful pictures. what a great Idea for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah awesome job! and those photos are great as well, I love weddings:) Thanks for linking up at my party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow by Email

Recent Projects

Xmas Card Display Hutch Revamp Spring Wreath Playroom Pennants Established Plaque
Vintage Valentines
Stenciled Lamp
Homemade Headbands

Items2Love

Women Online

Designed by:

Elements by Amy Teets

Featured On

homemade crafts UndertheTableandDreaming

Modern Wivelyhood

Grab My Button