Monday, June 6, 2011

Desk Upgrade

As you all know, I've been in the marathon process of creating my very own craft room.

Who knew that undertaking an entire room decor would take this long with a toddler in the house? 
All the experienced moms are probably laughing at me right now....duh, I know).

Anyway, let me introduce you to....

The newest addition to the craft room is a thrift store desk.



You may recall, that I went on a thrift store shopping spree and picked up my first furniture re-do's, including the desk and chair for a combined $32.

Crappy cell phone camera.

There are a ton of tutorials out there on how to distress and re-do furniture, and I'm not even going to pretend to be an expert.  I'd advise checking out some different techniques from Cassie at Primitive and Proper as she is the queen-bee (as far as I can tell) in this arena.

For the desk though, after a good sanding, I applied 2 coats of a semi-gloss project paint (that's what the can is called) in white.

{Forgot to take pictures of this.  #Blogger fail}

I then traded out the boring old wood knobs, for some super cute crystal green knobs from Anthropology.  Sale rack for $2.95 each.

I then needed to do something about that chair.

Thankfully it was SUPER easy to re-upholster.  I picked up a yard of fabric (that I am now obsessed with) and did my best using the staple gun.

Good news:  it doesn't have to be pretty on the underneath side to look good on the flip side.


I then needed a little pizazz, and function, for my desk.

A plain distressed white desk is so last month. :)

Using some black chalkboard paint I had on-hand, I gave a solid two coats to the side panel of the desk.


I then used the "negative" from a pennant flag I originally cut out as decoration for Brecken's birthday using the Silhouette (yep, I have one - JEALOUS?).


It was super easy to just tape it on the sides, and using some fun acrylic paint I already had on hand, I stenciled those flags right on.
This is my really sophisticated paint pallet - a tupperware lid. :)
I let it dry, and repeated the same process on the other side, to end up with this:

So it's not super complicated, but it is functional and cute - I just LOVE it!

It's the perfect addition to the room!

All in all, this project cost me a total of $52 with a breakdown that looks like this:
Desk - $20
Chair - $12
Cushion Fabric - $8 for one yard
New knobs - $12 for 4

Disregard the mess to the side.  It's always a work in progress. :)

Needless to say, I am VERY pleased with my new workspace.
Desk & Chair

Hutch Re-do

Free card rack
Almost all of the major elements are complete.  Stay tuned for a full reveal of how it all looks together!


 


Linking to:
Eisy Morgan 
Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up
Whipperberry

HookingupwithHoH


Domestically Speaking 


Photobucket



15 comments:

  1. i love it!!! fantastic transformation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! thank you so much for linking up to A Cozy Cup of Tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am obsessed with it. love the gray of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it doesn't even look like the same desk! it looks so lovely- love those fun knobs! and the bunting board is awesome, too- what a great crafty space!
    and thank you sooo much for the shout out and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I'm looking for a desk for a little office nook in our living area--I love how yours turned out! Plus, I love the chalkboad, so cute and clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love everything about this! I can't believe you found such a great piece at a thrift store! and I love the chalkboard on the side... I may go home and add something like that to my craft desk! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I love the chalkboard. The chair is great too - I love the shape of the legs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Amy
    I was actually surprised to find it at the thrift store too. Furniture there is SO hit or miss I feel like - you just have to be consistent and focused...something will eventually show up! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! And the chalkboard paint on the side makes it perfect! Following you now, can't wait to see what else you do to your room! :)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your heavenly craft room will be featured next week!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the chalkboard on the side of your desk...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come link this up won't you to my link party that runs Friday evening through Sunday night. I am having a special give away just for linkers too since our first party last week had over 300 links. You can grab the button as a reminder if you like at http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow by Email

Recent Projects

Xmas Card Display Hutch Revamp Spring Wreath Playroom Pennants Established Plaque
Vintage Valentines
Stenciled Lamp
Homemade Headbands

Items2Love

Women Online

Designed by:

Elements by Amy Teets

Featured On

homemade crafts UndertheTableandDreaming

Modern Wivelyhood

Grab My Button