Monday, January 9, 2012

Making Money Blogging

Did everyone read Thrifty Decor Chick's SUPER informative post the other day about the infamous subject for mommy-bloggers - How Do you Make Money Blogging???  There's really no way around it, advertising seems to be the way to bring in extra cash.  


Well, does advertising confuse anyone else, or is it just me??  It's time consuming to find advertisers, and to check out potential advertisers that contact me.  Because in the meantime, I've got a tazmanian devil toddler storming through my house.


So I got an email the other day from a fellow blogger. Ninja, who writes at Punch Debt In The Face, has been blogging for almost three years now. He's built quite a name for himself in the personal finance blogosphere. (Yeah, personal finance is not my cup of tea either).  Not only does he have a couple thousand subscribers, but he's actually found a way to make money blogging, without selling his soul to the devil. 


In fact, he made $11,000 in 2011 from his blog.



Cha-Ching!

Now I don't know about you, but it's taken me over a year to make my first $100 (thank you Google Adsense), but I'd willingly accept much more for 2012. :) 

From what I understand, there are apparently a few ways to make money blogging:

1) Adsense. As you can see, I have adsense ads running on One in the SAHM, but let's be honest. Unless you are getting crazy amounts of traffic, it's darn near impossible to actually get compensated for running the ads (hence one year+ for $100). 

2) Affiliate Advertising. This is great in theory, but often results in a blog becoming spammy and pushing products that I couldn't care less about. How weird would it be if I suddenly tried to get you all to sign up for a new credit card?  Real weird. 

3) Private ads. About once or twice a month I get emails from different marketing and PR firms asking if I'd be interested in putting text links up on my blog. Most of them either are, or at least come across, as very bland and superficial. It's hard for me to figure out if the email is legitimate or a big fat waste of time. So instead of trying to negotiate a deal, I delete the emails and move on with my life. 

Okay, so why am I bringing up advertising on a "mommy blog"? 

Well, Ninja's email asked me if I'd be interested in actually making a little money from my blog. At first I was skeptical. Figured it was just another spammy email. I was wrong. 

Ninja has been working with private advertisers for the last couple years and he's learned how to differentiate the legitimate from the sketchy. Nearly all of his $11,000 blog income this year was the direct result of private advertising on his blog. 

Since he has the knowledge of how to monetize a blog, he's started an ad brokering service to help us small bloggers out. There is NO fee to join.

While I don't plan to get rich through this partnership, I should be able to bring home at least a few thousand dollars this year. I'd be a fool to turn down free money, right? 

I don't want to bore you with the specifics of how the deal works, but if you are interested in making a little money from your mommy blog, let me know and I can put you in touch with Ninja or you can email him directly at ads@punchdebtintheface.com.

And in case you are wondering, No, I was not compensated in any way for writing about this. Just figured I wasn't the only one that wouldn't mind a little extra cash in my pocket. 

1 comment:

  1. I mean I'm no mommy-blogger, but it would be nice to make a little bit even if it just pays for my coffee addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow by Email

Recent Projects

Xmas Card Display Hutch Revamp Spring Wreath Playroom Pennants Established Plaque
Vintage Valentines
Stenciled Lamp
Homemade Headbands

Items2Love

Women Online

Designed by:

Elements by Amy Teets

Featured On

homemade crafts UndertheTableandDreaming

Modern Wivelyhood

Grab My Button